Friday 18 July 2014

Sony e-readers - crashing issues

Hi there. I don't make a habit of reviewing products other than books on this site. I've heard from others, however, that using a blog to communicate recommendations or dis-satisfaction with a product can have positive results.

I have two Sony e-readers: a PRS T3 and an earlier model. Both of them suffer from terrible... and I do mean terrible... crashing issues. The older model will regularly (probably every third use or less) completely freeze up and require a reset restart. The PRS T3 crashes during most uses. As well, within a week or two of use, a critical section of the screen seems to have gone 'dead' (e.g., it shows images, but does not respond to touch). I contacted Sony about the problems, and their help person essentially told me I'd have to mail the reader(s) into a Sony repair facility. Now, even though Sony operates a retail store in my community, they won't look at/repair/replace the units. I'm expected to pay to ship the product to Sony, so they can fix something that is still under warranty. This seems silly to me. Now, if they'd pay shipping, or ship from their retail store, or offer... well.... anything better than incurring more costs to fix flawed product, I'd be happier. As it is, I can't recommend anyone purchasing Sony e-readers.

Now... if a Sony rep contacts me with a handy, cost-effective solution... well, I might have to rewrite this post. We'll see.


No comments: